DFMS Newspaper

The student news site of Dobbs Ferry Middle School.

DFMS Newspaper

DFMS Newspaper

Recent Comments

Springhurst Pumpkin Fair Delivers Another Fun-Filled Day

Sixth grader Zoe Berk preps for the 2023 Springhurst Pumpkin Fair with a couple of costumed friends.
    Zoe Berk

The Springhurst Pumpkin Fair has come once again! On Saturday, October 21st, hundreds of people from the Dobbs Ferry community, from Springhurst and DFMS students to adults alike, gathered at Springhurst Elementary School.  

The Fair offered so much to do. There were games, prizes, and food and music played. The fair typically takes place outside the grounds of the elementary school, but unfortunately it rained, so it had to be inside the school throughout the gym, cafeteria, and hallways. However, that didn’t dull the mood. “I love the Pumpkin Fair.  It is so much fun!” said sixth grader, Zoe Berk.

Participants purchase tickets with money and there were ticket deals such as 10 dollars for 10 tickets. Each game costs between 1-3 tickets. The food costs money or tickets up to five tickets.  One could also win tickets as a prize for success in games.

Speaking of games, there were a variety of them to choose from. There were inflatables in the gym which included a bounce house, slide, baseball and basketball inflatable. For baseball you would try to hit the ball and get into the hole. For football you would try to throw it into the hole once again. 

The tickets you win could be traded in for prizes. The more games you win the more tickets you get. There were prizes for 5 tickets, 10, 15, 30, and fifty tickets.  Some of the prizes included Squishmellos, Pop-Its, and other assorted fidget-type items.

There were also so many different contests. One of them was the pie contest where people buy a slice with tickets and then you would vote to see which one tasted the best. Some of the flavors included: cookies and cream pie, cherry pie, apple pie, and pumpkin pie. There were also concession stands. Some of the desserts include brownies, cupcakes, cookies, donuts, etc. Also, there were hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, and drinks. They sold out pretty quickly.  

Erica Malko, President of Dobbs Ferry PTSA,  said, “The Dobbs Ferry PTSA made over $20,000. After all expenses being paid we now have over $14,000 to contribute to enrichment and teachers grants!” In conclusion, the Pumpkin Fair was a big hit. If you have not gone to the Pumpkin Fair yet, I think YOU should go next year and see for yourself how fun it is.