DFMS Newspaper

The student news site of Dobbs Ferry Middle School.

DFMS Newspaper

DFMS Newspaper

Recent Comments

Halloween Extravaganza Returns For Its 23rd Year

October 31, 2023 was the 23rd anniversary of the Halloween Extravaganza. It’s a big part of middle school, and it’s a next step from the elementary school parade. Our middle schoolers wore so many creative, fun, and scary costumes making it quite difficult for the judges to decide the winners. 

The man behind the extravaganza is our Visual Arts teacher, Mr. Gonzalez who was dressed as Hulk. The foam costume took him a couple months to create.  Though he was feeling a little hot and uncomfortable in the costume, it was worth it.  “It was one of his best costumes I can remember,” said Mr. Feller, who has seen all of Mr. Gonzalez’s costumes throughout the 23 years of the Extravaganza.

There were three judges.  The judges had two things they were looking for: creativity and originality.  Here were the winners:

The winners for the 6th grade group contest are The Strawberry Shortcakes. Congratulations to Margot Sharp, Aubrey Brewer, Sophie Pitts, Wren Boucard, Veronica Higgins, and Aanya Soni. The winners for the 6th grade individual costumes are Karen (Ben Tokarski), the Oogie Boogie man (Phoebe Johnston), and Ted Lasso (Evan Todd). The winners for the 7th grade group contest are Elle Jerutis, Noa Zonana, and Sophie Romany as the clueless cast. The individual costume winners are the Mandalorian (Caleb Anger), Sushi (Wiley Weinmann), and a French Renaissance Artist (Sam Muldoon). The winners for the 8th grade group contest are Fiona Cornish, and Chella Galletta as pirates. The winners for the 8th grade individual contest are the Hamburglar (Shane Callahan), the Mona Lisa (Anika Johnston), and the famous Ice Spice (Dominick Stern).

The costumes this year were amazing. From a bunch of bushes to football players, the judges must’ve had a pretty hard time deciding. Just think. Maybe you will be the winner next year.