The Future is NAO

Ava Neumaier, Staff Writer

Those who’ve been to the library or Mr. Feller’s Language and Literature class may have seen a glimpse of the future.  Students recently recently took a trip to the library and were introduced to a  mild-mannered red robot called NAO.

“NAO is part of a school initiative that’s for STEM classes, but I wanted NAO in the library so I can expose him to all of the kids,” commented DFMS librarian, Ms. Gonzalez.

NAO, pronounced like now, was developed by Aldebaran Robotics, a French company that unveiled its project in 2004. NAO even beat Sony’s robot dog Aibo in the RoboCup, a robot soccer competition! Aldebaran Robotics has said at one point that NAO is destined to be a human-sized, fully functioning robot some day!

NAO is pre-programmed with dozens of different features, many of which dazzled the library goers when Ms. Gonzales brought him out for the first time. Some of the spectacular things NAO does includes performing Tai Chi (along with peaceful music!), speak in French, answer questions, and “Explore”; where NAO can walk around his environment. Also, you can program NAO to do specific activities such as dance, learn your name, or–as most students wonder–even Dabb!  “NAO is very cool, and very smart!” said 6th grader Helen Seda.

When I asked Ms. Gonzalez about the effect NAO has on students, she commented “The kids can learn not only what kind of things they can say to him and what they can make him do.   Also, kids that are willing to delve more deeply, willing to work with me, can actually learn to program him. We can start very simply, teach him how to say “Hello, world” or walk to the ball, or something to that effect.”

So if you have time between classes, or can get a pass during lunch, make sure that you check out NAO, the first of many library robots that will potentially populate the future.

• The Future is NAO

A&E

The Red Sun We Will Never See

• The Future is NAO

Opinion

Holiday Hazards: How Your Favorite Days Are Actually Killing You (maybe)

• The Future is NAO

A&E

Can you solve the puzzle?

• The Future is NAO

A&E

Appreciate the Vanity of Our Sun

• The Future is NAO

DFMS News

DFMS Halloween Extravaganza 2017

• The Future is NAO

Top Stories

Mankind is Returning to the Moon!

• The Future is NAO

DFMS News

A Classic Space Gets A Modern Retelling; DFMS Has A New Library

• The Future is NAO

Community News

No Place For Hate Club Gives Back to the Less Fortunate

• The Future is NAO

DFMS News

Fidget Spinners: Toy or Tool? Dobbs Ferry Goes For a Spin

• The Future is NAO

A&E

Looking For Hours of Binge Reading Entertainment? Choose Colfer’s Land of Stories

The Future is NAO