Coming Soon to the DFMS Stage…Fame Jr.

Katelyn Storms, Staff Writer

After the huge success of Legally Blonde Jr. in 2015, Dobbs Ferry Middle School is back with another musical.  This time it’s the 80s hit, Fame Jr!

In September, roughly 50 students from grades 6-8 throughout the entire Dobbs Ferry Middle School auditioned for the musical. Mrs. DeFalco, the director of the musical, commented, “I love seeing the kids grow as performers! Every year we have new students that join for the first time, and we also have different kids taking over for leading roles. It’s great to see students begin to love performing and being involved in musicals!”

The cast has been working hard for the past few weeks, learning music, choreography and “getting to know their character.” Leads have to put in extra work learning solos and going through scenes to make the show the best it can be. Students are challenged to act like they think their character would. Some leads in the show are Chloe LeBreton, Felix Danishmend, Katelyn Storms, Julian Batshaw, Kaitlyn Burtt, Talia Levine and a few others. Acting is clearly LeBreton’s DNA.  “I have been doing acting since I was five, and I am super passionate about it. I find the play super fun to be a part of!”

The musical takes place in New York’s High School of the Performing Arts, also known as “P.A.” It is set in the early 1980s, the last four years before the school was turned into Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School. Students there major in the arts, music, dance, and/or acting, while still taking academic classes. The characters are either students who made it into the school, or teachers who work there. The story is mainly about the students’ journey through high school and the challenges they meet.

Fame Jr. is filled with romance, friendship, and the desire to become famous. Mrs. DeFalco added, “We have so many talented kids that we wanted to feature, and there are lots of speaking lines and solo songs. And everyone loves the 80’s!”

Come see Fame Jr. on November 18th and 19th!