New Semester, New Exploratories

Daniel Storck, Staff Writer

With the beginning of the third quarter, students are switching their 9th period exploratories. For some, this is a sad day, as they are leaving their beloved end-of-the-day subjects. Now they must trek to an entirely different classroom in an entirely different hallway. Others tend to look on the positive side, seeing this as an opportunity to experience a brand-new topic they haven’t yet learned.

During the course of the year, each semester has two exploratories (Health, STEM, Design, Visual Art) on opposite days (A, B). Once the semester ends, students then switch to the other two exploratories. This allows students to get the full knowledge of each class without becoming bored. With this change in schedule comes mixed emotions from faculty and kids, who may or may not be ready for the substitution.

“For me, it’s really just another class,” stated sixth grader Katelyn Storms, who seems prepared, yet disenchanted with the entire prospect. On the other hand, Nate Borwick is much more animated about the switch. “I am excited to see how the other classes are, and how the new teachers run their class.” Even one of our own exploratory teachers, health teacher Mrs. Wing, weighed in! “I find it exciting to have a new group of students in the second semester.” She also added that students regard an exploratory as a “new part of their day” and that they enjoy their last class before going home.

All in all, you may or may not be ready for the transition, but if you stay a good student, you won’t have any problems. Good luck in your alternative exploratory!