7th Graders Travel Back in Time to Colonial America

Otto Montgomery, Staff Writer

Every year, at the Dobbs Ferry Middle School, an event is held called Colonial Day. During Colonial Day, 7th grade students get to see how the life was for Colonial kids and adults. The students get to clean wool, shape iron, churn butter, and there are re-enactors (a.k.a. retired social studies teachers) who show what coopers, soldiers, cooks and blacksmiths did.

Colonial Day wouldn’t be possible without the 7th grade Social Studies Teacher, Mrs Marques and a generous contribution from the PTSA and the school district. “Colonial Day costs about 1,500 dollars and the event has been going on for seven years,” said Marques. Mrs. Marques was inspired to do Colonial Day when she went to a re-enactment of a battle in Fort Niagara (the French and Indian War). “I fell in love with the idea that students could learn about history through re-enactments. It is important for us learn about our roots and civic duty.”

Colonial Day has evolved through the years. The first was in 2008 which took place in the auditorium.  Also, it used to have a play, all the teachers would dress up, and everyone had their own stations for things like colonial writing and spying in Colonial America.  However, Dobbs Ferry students enjoyed the 2015 version, especially where they got to play with Colonial toys. “I thought it was fun to see how the Colonial kids spent their free time,” said Katie O’Reilly.